Well, I’m crossing my fingers that when it rains, it pours.
I was asked to interview with Binder Park Zoo last Friday, which went very well, and was offered an internship with them on Monday! While exciting, this internship only pays $50/week, and is too far from home for me to commute, so I won’t be able to take it. They got me really excited about the job during my interview, and this is a zoo I used to frequent when I was younger. Doing zoo overnights and things like that would have been a lot of fun!
Then, today, I got a call from Sea World. I honestly thought that again, this would be them telling me I’m no longer being considered, but it turns out that that is not the case. The HR lady told me that I’ve been placed in their “backup pool”, so if one of their first choices doesn’t cut the mustard, I’ll be called to come down to Orlando with short notice to interview and swim test. I have to call them back with my decision to continue in the backup pool, or to back out completely, or another choice. This other choice is to be accepted as a worker at the theme park, but not as an animal care worker. They said there were some Discovery Cove positions open, which do get to interact with some of the animal care workers, which I might be considering, especially if I don’t end up getting any other offers.
I’ve been getting worried about not hearing anything from Disney, and I’m crossing my fingers and constantly checking my email for an invitation to a second interview. They’re still my first choice, and I hope I at least get the option!
On another note, I’ve begun to call and email some of my old safaris managers, asking about the possibility of coming back to safaris. I know they can’t help much, but I figure it can’t hurt to ask. Lately I’ve been missing Harambe so much, I just can’t sit around and not do anything about it. And, of course, my friend is leaving in 2 hours to work for 2 weeks down there, a plan he decided on yesterday. I just wish school was over!